Hours later, La Seguridad del Estado broke into his apartment. The landlady downstairs gave the government officials the key, letting them break in to this peaceful artist's home. Over the phone with his fiance, Alexandra Martinez, he shouted, "They're taking me, they're taking me!"
Since that morning on November 26, Danilo has been taken to 5 different holding centers:
1. Police Station in La Lisa- where he was beaten and dragged across the floor
2. Police Station in Guanabacoa- beaten repeatedly by police officers and his food was poisoned with sleeping pills. He has since refused to eat any food given to him inside the prison.
3. Police Station Zapata y C
4. VIVAC- a processing detention center where he was denied phone calls after reporters began asking to speak with him.
5. Valle Grande Prison- where he was held in solitary confinement for 3 days to avoid suspected protests on International Human Rights day. Later, his fiance was denied visitation access under suspicions that she was not actually his fiance. He was quickly taken away.
6. El Combinado del Este Prison- a maximum security prison. He was beaten gagged while stripped of his clothing upon arrival. There is no sunlight, or running water. His space is filled with roaches and there is so much humidity that water drips onto his bed at night. His asthma and allergies have quickly worsened, but he was denied his preventative medicine.
Any prisoner who associates with Danilo is subject to being strip searched. No letters are allowed to be exchanged and all visits with Danilo must be approved by El Jefe Rodolfo.
Danilo's living conditions at the moment are inhumane. He has contracted a Cuban lawyer who has
had access to his "expediente" but his loved ones have yet to see it. He is allegedly being held under an accusation of damaging state property, at worst a 100 fine in Cuban pesos, but Danilo says officials in the prison tell him he will be tried for threatening"la seguridad del estado".
Most recently, sis mother and fiance both received an alarming phone call Thursday, 1/13 in which Danilo said he fears that he will be executed. This is psychological torture and more than ever, it is imperative that we continue demanding this peaceful artist's immediate liberation.